Tony Grist (poliphilo) wrote,
Tony Grist
poliphilo

Sansho Dayu

Sansho Dayu is another movie that contrives to be both compassionate and detached. I guess it's a Buddhist thing. Actually it's very much a Buddhist thing. If this were a western film and the statuette of Kwan-Yin were a crucifix I'd be squirming.
Subscribe

Recent Posts from This Journal

  • There Will Come Soft Rains

    In 1950, Judy tells me, Ray Bradbury published an SF story about nuclear annihilation entitled "There will come soft rains" in which the…

  • Woodpecker

    "This is a bore," I mutter to myself. "I'm tired, I don't want to do it...." And the woodpecker on my shoulder…

  • Birling Gap

    It did rain, but very, very briefly. Later we went for a drive around our immediate area, pausing at the Birling Gap. Where the sea was quite a…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment