2. The Great Madcap (dreadful title!) is a moralising comedy from Bunuel's Mexican period. (Isn't it amazing what oddities turn up on DVD?) It says on the case that it's a hidden gem, but it's not. What it is, is a moderately engaging adaption of a crummy middle-brow play with weak performances and some quirky touches and occasional splashes of local colour. If you didn't know Bunuel was responsible, you'd never guess it.
3. I caught the end of a documentary about Lautrec last night. I don't know why exactly, but anything to do with Lautrec- apart, of course, from that horrid Luhrman film, brings tears to my eyes. The presenter, Waldemar Januszczak, said Lautrec was the Rembrandt of the19th century. Yes, indeed.
4. We were shown photos of Lautrec clowning about naked on a boat. And, yes, the legend is true- he did have a big dick.
5. This will be the 55th time I've celebrated Christmas. I'm trying to be honest here and not strike any attitudes. So what do I feel? I feel a weary sense of inevitability. Yeah, here we go again.
6. Let's have some more Lautrec. This one's called In Bed