And so I sat there with my tin of treats and no-one came calling. I guess Muslims just don't do Halloween.
I've been thinking a lot about the Brand/ Ross affair (sorry this is totally Britocentric). Here's my opinions- all 10 of them.
1. What they did was crappy.
2. Bullying, mean-spirited, unfunny, pointless. Talking truth to power is one thing, but Andrew Sachs isn't power- and talking truth to him was completely out of order.
3. Comedy is a dangerous game. I understand how, when you're riffing, you can get on a roll and lose sight of where you're going. That's one reason why Brand's show is pre-recorded- so an editor can take out the bits that don't work/are totally disgusting.
4. I'm sorry Brand went and Ross didn't. Mind you, I don't think it's done Brand any harm. It just adds to his legend.
5. I like Brand. No, let's rephrase that. I'm slightly in awe of Brand. I think he's an amazing talent. I've never mistaken him for a nice person.
6. His column in this morning's Guardian is headed What a Barmy, hysterical, cosmic week- and it's all about football. Now that's class.
7. I don't like Ross. He's one of those broadcasters I mostly avoid ( Terry Wogan's another). I find him smug.
8. I don't know why the BBC pay him so much money. I think that was always a mistake.
9. Apparently most people under 30 can't see what the fuss is about. I don't fully understand this, but I'm willing to step aside because, after all, they own the future.
10. I don't want to be part of any crusade that's being preached by the Daily Mail.
And now, back to the travelogue.