|Various Things In Brief
||[Jun. 1st, 2016|11:55 am]
1. There's a blackbird's nest in the tool shed with two chicks in it. They're just at eye level. Baby birds look remarkably reptilian. |
2. Another cold wet breezy day- of the kind that's becoming typical of the English summer.
3. I just picked rhubarb. The first of the season. I did wonder about making ice cream with it, but, no, it's too stringy; I'd have to put it through the blender first. Even the Italians don't make rhubarb ice-cream- which tells you something. I suppose Heston Blumenthal might.
4. Ailz is reading a website about the odd things people ask Google. A favourite is "Where is the internet?" That's rather deep. Here's a follow-up question I thought up all by myself- "Would the Internet still exist if everyone went off line?"
5. I dreamed I was playing a hangman in a school play. I was giving a rumbustious, improvised performance- but the acoustics of the hall were lousy and I was having to shout.
6. I'm liking Kenneth Branagh's final season as Wallender. The Altzheimer's is beginning to affect him- and the stories count for less than the character's growing awareness of his own mortality. What an extraordinary force of nature Branagh is. In the past five years he has- among other things- released a super-hero blockbuster, directed Cinderella for Disney, played Macbeth on stage, resumed his role as a TV detective and mounted a season of plays in the West End. Has any actor ever enjoyed such a varied and charmed career?