George VI: a weak, silly man with a stammer. Edward VIII: an irresponsible playboy with fascist sympathies who had to be gotten rid of. George V: dull, stupid, stiff and arrogant. Edward VII: a bit of a dark horse. Unpromising material but rather effective in office. Victoria: suffered from clinical depression for much of her reign. Iconic in old age as the Widow of Windsor (a triumph of the spin doctor's art.) William IV: who? George IV: playboy and wastrel- a national embarrassment. George III: terribly dull, periodically mad. George II: very German. George I: completely German. And nasty with it. Anne: supremely dull figurehead of a golden age. The least inspirational of British Queens. William and Mary: at least they weren't James II. James II: stupid, charmless autocrat who had to leave in a hurry. Charles II: our first constitutional monarch, intelligent, witty and politically able. Charles I: stupid, charmless autocrat who tore the country apart and lost his head. James I: the wisest fool in Christendom. Famous for slobbering and persecuting witches. Elizabeth I: Gloriana! Mary: famous for burning people. Edward VI: died young. Henry VIII: authentically monstrous. The British Stalin. Henry VII: a Machiavel- cold, efficient; brought the middle ages to a juddering halt.